Director of Food Ministry
Hours of Work: 26 hours per week/10 months of the year
FLSA Status: Exempt
Team Leader: Senior Pastor
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position supervises the Kitchen Assistant, dishwashers, and paid servers.
Position Summary: The Director of Food Ministry oversees the food service and hospitality functions of the Church. The Director of Food Ministry hires and supervises other food service employees. The Director of Food Ministry also coordinates with employees and volunteers from other functional groups in the Church to provide meals and hospitality at Church events. Food is an integral part of developing relationships and building community and thus, an important aspect of the overall ministry of our congregation. The Director of Food Ministry is ultimately responsible for providing meals that nourish the body and soul.
- Kitchen Supervisor
- Responsible for hiring the Kitchen Assistant, dishwashers, and paid servers.
- Responsible for efficient operation of the kitchen and kitchen-related tasks, including:
- Supervising the Kitchen Assistant, dishwashers, and paid servers;
- Managing finances related to food ministry, including managing a weekly budget;
- Determining prices to be charged for Church-provided meals;
- Scheduling all use of the kitchen;
- Inspecting the kitchen and all equipment in it before and after each use;
- Coordinating with custodial staff and groups that use the kitchen to keep the kitchen, serving tables, kitchen towels, and table cloths clean and neat; and
- Ordering general supplies such as coffee, paper products, and general staples.
- Is available for general shopping and meal planning for all groups using the kitchen.
- Keeps cupboards and closets in order and kitchen equipment clean and in good working condition.
- General Cook
- Is available for menu planning, purchasing of food, and working with volunteers to provide meals as needed. Groups will need to provide volunteers for serving and assistance with clean-up.
- Provides all “catered” meals in the church for a variety of groups as requested and available. Groups will need to provide volunteers for serving and to assist in clean-up.
- Prepares on-going meals, including, but not limited to:
- The Wednesday Night Live weekly meal (2 semesters);
- Men’s Saturday breakfast;
- Prime Timers dinners (older adults);
- United Methodist Women’s meals; and
- Other meals that support the ministries of the church.
- Prepares or assists with monthly program meals.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the Director of Food Ministry is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, and use stairs or elevators. The Director of Food Ministry must be able to clearly communicate with other Church staff, volunteers, and Church members. This position involves regular lifting of food items and kitchen tools weighing up to __ pounds and occasional lifting of food items and kitchen tools weighing up to __ pounds. This position also involves occasional stooping and kneeling.
Spiritual Gifts Desired: Leadership, Administration, Helping, Serving, and Hospitality.
Skills Desired: Commitment to Christ and His Church; love of or experience in food preparation; ability or experience in managing kitchens; ability to organize; ability to supervise paid and volunteer staff; willingness to work as part of the church team; and flexibility.
Applications are to be emailed to email@example.com